A Brief Update

9:48 PM , 0 Comments

So, once again I am on paternity leave, and whilst that may seem like a most unlikely time for me to have more spare time on my hands (I really don't.. this parenting stuff is non-stop), it does afford me more time where my job is just watching a sleeping baby to make sure he's ok, which gives me the opportunity for some quieter time.

Last time around I experimented with and wrote up some work with Spring & MongoDB (see previous blog posts here and here) and this time I have a whole host more planned.  Firstly, I am getting back on some Android development and am working on a new app - part of which is using greenDAO ORM for Android (apparently used by Pinterest.com, which is pretty good - although I would think describing themseleves as an ORM might be a little stretch, at first glance it certainly seems to make DB/DAO Android work a lot less of a pain in the arse) - I will write up some notes on using that soon.



The other part is a Raspberry Pi project. I held back from getting a Pi for sometime, as I didn't really have any projects in mind, and as tempting as it was, I didn't want to get one and just have it sitting in a box unused for ages (or alternatively just using it as a mechanism to web-enable my TV) - However, having been inspired by this project I decided that I wanted to build a lego robot powered by the Pi, and long term, having a robot that can do clever things (map out rooms, shortest path algo stuff etc) but also have a code framework that makes it easy for kids to be able to program rules about how the robot behaves in different circumstances etc.

I have a Pi, I have dug out all my old Technic Lego (including motors) and have discovered the joy of buying lots of incredibly low-priced electronics kit (resistors, chips, breadboards, leds, etc) and am almost ready to start - just have to solder a few pieces together and we are off (well, that and learn some basic electronics stuff!)


Expect post on both topics shortly..

rob hinds

I'm on to the next one, on to the next one..

0 comments: