A Programmers Resolutions

The last week or two there was an article linked on HN about 12-month long resolutions for programmers - It was a nice read, so check it out

I would love to say Im gonna do them all, but there has got to be a very slim chance of that.. but there are a few i would like to complete, and some that I will complete just because it happens to match my other plans for the year:

(For more details, or examples of what the OP meant by each point jump through on the link)

  1. Go analog- So yeah, I'm gonna do this one. I love cooking anyway, and always looking to do more of that, and it just so happens I got an awesome BBQ over Christmas, so just waiting for some dry weather to get that out and start spit-roasting some meat. I would love to start a cookery blog, but given how long it takes between posts here, that might be tough.
  2. Stay healthy - would like to try, as always. But we will see.
  3. Embrace the uncomfortable.
  4. Learn a new programming language - Yes, Flutterby released I plan to sit down and learn. Probably a functional language.
  5. Automate.
  6. Learn more mathematics - would love to..
  7. Focus on security.
  8. Back up your data - Im sure I will do this, with so many cloud data offerings this is gonna happen (and already has in places).
  9. Learn more theory.
  10. Engage the arts and humanities- In another life there are loads of other things I would like to have been (wine taster, music producer, phtographer/film maker, movie critic) - and I try to embrace these other things when I get the chance, so maybe I will set up a movie blog for a month.. (watch this space!)
  11. Learn new software.
  12. Complete a personal project - Its on its way, Flutterby! this will hopefully be the January resolution hit at least.

 Check out the link. Has some interesting chat.

rob hinds

I'm on to the next one, on to the next one..

0 comments: